Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cheese Plate

Perfect Pairing: Cheese Slate

Anytime I am lucky enough to enjoy a cheese plate or cheese flight I find great pleasure in figuring out the best combination of cheese, cracker, bread and topping.  It needs to be the perfect pairing (look at that, no wonder I started a blog of the same name) of crispy and creamy, salty and sweet. 
My favorite first course when I throw a dinner party is a cheese plate.  It requires minimal work to put together, it looks fancy and it is kind of an interactive experience for the guest.  There are a lot of great sites out there that give some amazing tips on how to create the perfect cheese plate, so I am not going to go into great detail here. 

I like to have 3 to 5 cheeses, about 3 oz. per person.  I typically like a combination of goat cheese, blue cheese, soft cheese like brie or camembert, and a salty, hard cheese like an aged manchego or romano.  For toppings I like store-bought fig preserves, caramelized onions or store-bought fruit mostarda.  Fresh fruit on the side like apples, pears, grapes and berries are all tasty accompaniments.  When I serve a cheese plate I like to serve it with a combination of homemade crackers and simple store-bought crackers.  I will be posting the cracker recipes on the blog soon.

The Perfect Pair for a cheese plate is a cheese slate, like those available at Crate and Barrel.  The cheese looks great on the black slate and it is easily accessible for guests.  A great feature of the slate is that you can write on it in chalk to let the guests know details of the cheese.
food smDSC02492

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell everyone that the most delicious item on this posting are not the cheeses but the home made biscottis!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...