Friday, September 23, 2011

Crunchy Stuffed French Toast

Perfect Pairing:  Double-sided grill pan
IMG_7613-1

I love making a special breakfast on the weekends.  It is a pleasant departure from my Monday-Friday oatmeal at work routine.  This Crunchy Stuffed French Toast looks really fancy but is a cinch to make and is fairly healthy!
Years ago I travelled with my mom to a business event in Washington DC.  We stayed at a Marriott and I remember feeling very grown up having breakfast with her in the hotel restaurant.  We both had the crunchy French toast and it was scrumptious.  I am pretty sure we had it every day we were there.   I have seen it on Marriott’s menus through the years and always think of that trip with my mom where we first had the crunchy goodness.  This recipe was inspired by that trip, but I updated it to be “stuffed” with light cream cheese and preserves.  Using whole wheat toast, bran flakes and egg whites keep it light.  The cream cheese and preserves add lots of flavor, you almost don’t need syrup!
The Perfect Pairing for this recipe is a dual-sided grill pan.  The dual-sided part is that one side is the standard grill pan with ridges and the other is flat like a griddle.   Mine is cast iron and lies over the burners.  I am inclined to grill meat on my regular grill outside, but the griddle side of the pan is great for pancakes, French toast and grilled cheese if you are making multiple sandwiches.  Of course, this recipe can be made in a skillet if you don’t have a grill pan, you may just need to do a couple batches.  I hope you enjoy this tasty breakfast!

Crunchy Stuffed French Toast
Lindsay at Perfecting the Pairing

Ingredients:
·         6 slices multi grain bread
·         3 Tb light cream cheese
·         3 Tb apricot preserves or jam (or any flavor you have on hand)
·         1 whole egg
·         3 egg whites
·         Zest and juice of one small lemon
·         1 tsp vanilla
·         2 cups bran flakes, crushed
·         1 Tb butter
Directions:
Heat grill pan or skillet over medium heat.  Lay out the bread and spread three slices with the cream cheese and the other three slices with the preserves/jam, combine to make three sandwiches.  In a shallow dish or pie plate mix the egg, egg whites, zest, juice, and vanilla.  Whisk to combine.  Fill another shallow dish or pie plate with the crushed bran flakes.  Melt butter over the surface of the grill pan or skillet, add sandwiches.  Flip once the egg mixture has cooked and the cereal has toasted.  Cook on opposite side until egg mixture is cooked and cereal has toasted on each side.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds great, and the photo is divine. I haven't thought of adding cream cheese, but I'm sure it's delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone in New York going through a divorce will find your site to be an invaluable resource. Since the engagement ring debate is frequently a sensitive one, your careful examination of the relevant legal issues is very beneficial. It's impressive how well you can simplify difficult legal subjects into understandable facts. Continue your fantastic effort! Who Gets the Engagement Ring in a Divorce New York

    ReplyDelete
  3. I genuinely delighted in your post on the meaning of scrutinizing. I've everlastingly been a significant peruser, and I know that it's helped me with learning and fill in such endless ways. I especially esteemed your point about how examining can help us with getting a handle on substitute perspectives and social orders. I will have a go at examining even more habitually later on.

    Tipper truck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really got a kick out of your post on the significance of examining. I've everlastingly been a critical peruser, and I know that it's assisted me with learning and fill in such vast ways. I particularly regarded your point about how looking at can assist us with making heads or tails of substitute viewpoints and social orders. I will have a go at looking at much more routinely later on.

    pickup price

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...