Friday, January 6, 2012

Cucumber Sandwiches

Perfect Pairing:  Beer bread
IMG_9261-2

Moms are just the best thing in the world.  I might be biased but I am pretty sure I have the best mom out there.  She is always there for me no matter what I am going through, or what time of day or night it may be.  Thank you mom.

Some of my favorite mother daughter memories are going to high tea with my lovely mom in downtown Chicago as a girl.  We had a tradition of going to the windy city to do some Christmas shopping and we would finish the trip with traditional tea at The Drake or The Four Seasons.  I loved everything about it.  I loved that I got my very own teapot and a delicate little teacup.  I loved the scones, clotted cream, and jam.  I loved the little sandwiches.  Most of all I loved feeling very grown up and sophisticated.
A couple of years ago we had high tea at The Drake as grownups.  I still loved it, but this time we had a teatini along with our Earl Grey! 
IMG_9509-1
IMG_9510-1
One of my favorite little tea sandwiches that is always served at high tea is cucumber on white bread with a little cream cheese.  It is so delicate, fresh, and ladylike.  It is the epitome of a tea sandwich.  My version of a cucumber sandwich is a bit of a departure from the traditional version.  It is not as delicate, or as pretty, but I think it has more flavor and is more satisfying.  I use a combination of whipped cream cheese and fat free Greek yogurt for the spread.  I like the texture that the yogurt brings to the spread and it keeps the fat and calories down. 
The Perfect Pairing for my cucumber sandwich is freshly baked beer bread.  I used packaged beer bread from Longaberger, which could not have been easier.  You can also make your own version at home using this recipe.  The slightly sweet flavor of the beer bread is perfect with the dill spread and fresh cucumbers. 

Cucumber Sandwiches
Lindsay at Perfecting the Pairing

Ingredients:
·         6 oz fat free Greek yogurt (I like Fage 0%)
·         4 oz whipped cream cheese
·         ½ tsp garlic salt
·         2 Tb chopped fresh dill
·         Salt and pepper to taste
·         1 seedless cucumber, sliced
·         Beer bread or other sliced bread
Directions:
In a small bowl combine the yogurt, cream cheese, and garlic salt.  Stir until combined and smooth.  Fold in the chopped dill.  Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
Spread the yogurt mixture onto a slice of beer bread and top with cucumber slices.  Garnish with additional dill, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to take me to High Tea as well....this year will be Celia's first year :-). Wonderful memories. Will try these for our little "afternoon teas" we have at home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...