Monday, April 30, 2012

Dressed up Green Beans

Perfect Pairing: Large platter
IMG_0033-001
 

 
I made this yummy side dish for Easter dinner.  It was a hit! 
I love al dente green beans on their own, but why not add bacon and egg?  What could it hurt?  Answer:  nothing, it is awesome.   This is an impressive dish that is quick and easy, especially if you hard boil your eggs ahead of time.  Click here for my favorite hard boiling method.    
I am excited to make this again with fresh green beans from the farmers market.  Now it is in writing…. I am going to the farmers market.  Here is the thing; I love the idea of tooling around at an urban market picking out fresh items for dinner.  I love it!  Why don’t I do this more often?  I must be getting to the market too late or not going to the right spot because my farmers market experiences in Chicago have been less than stellar.  By the time I get there everything seems picked over and underwhelming.  I vow to change that this summer.  
The Perfect Pairing for this dish is a large platter.  Originally I had a bowl picked out, but decided it would be more appealing on a platter.  It really is a nice presentation! 
IMG_0044-001
 

Dressed up Green Beans
Lindsay at Perfecting the Pairing

Ingredients:
·         6 slices of bacon
·         1 ½ lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
·         Salt and pepper
·         1 lemon
·         2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the green beans and cook until just crisp tender, about 4-6 minutes, depending on size of green beans. Drain.
In a skillet, fry the bacon until crispy.  Drain on paper towels.  Chop and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the skillet.
Add the green beans to the skillet with reserved bacon grease.  Toss for 1 to 2 minutes, until coated.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Toss green beans with juice of one lemon.
Arrange green beans on a platter.  Top with chopped egg and bacon.

2 comments:

  1. Great side dish! I love everything about it - I eat a ton of eggs in all forms and bacon has always been one of my favorites. I bet this is a perfect dish to make for company in a large batch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I would have never put all these things together! I think I will add a little cayenne pepper to the bacon grease before tossing with the green beans... I love spicy things!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...