Monday, September 26, 2011

Chicken Yakitori

Perfect Pairing:  Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc
IMG_7446-2
 
When I was planning on making the Asian inspired brussel sprout salad I wanted to find a protein that would go well with it,  preferably something that would go on the grill since the weather was still so beautiful.  I ran across a recipe for Chicken Yakitori on Café Sucré Farine.  Admittedly, I had no idea what this was but it sure looked good!  According to google dictionary, chicken yakitori is defined as grilled chicken kebabs: a dish of Japanese origin consisting of small pieces of grilled chicken that are basted on skewers with a sauce of soy, stock, sugar, and mirin.
My version of Chicken Yakitori is grilled skewers of chicken and green onion pieces basted in a teriyaki-like sauce.  It is easy to make and really tasty and light.  The original recipe calls for mirin which is a sweetened Japanese wine, similar to sake.  I had no luck finding this at the store and truthfully did not feel like spending $15 on traditional sake, so I just used some white wine I had leftover in the fridge.  I am sure it had little to nothing in common with sake, but it worked famously.  The skewers were savory with a slightly sweet undertone. 
The Perfect Pairing for this recipe is Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.  Lately I have been favoring red wine but I still love a cold, crisp white wine on occasion.  This sauvignon blanc is fantastic.  I have a LOT to learn about wine and tend to pretty much like everything.  I have no idea how to speak eloquently of wine.  I would love to be able to accurately decipher the berry notes and oaky undertones, but let’s face it… if I say that, I am totally guessing.  I will say that I can always pick out the lovely grapefruit flavor in this wine.  This sauvignon blanc is reasonably priced, I have seen it sold for $12-$17, and it is widely available.  Buy it, sip it, love it.

Chicken Yakitori
Adapted by Lindsay from Café Sucré Farine

Ingredients:
·         1 cup low sodium chicken broth
·         ¾ cup soy sauce
·         ½ cup mirin or white wine
·         ¼ cup honey
·         1 Tb rice vinegar
·         Juice of one lime
·         2 Tb sugar
·         1 tsp sesame oil
·         6 slices of ginger
·         4 cloves of garlic, smashed
·         1 ½ Tb corn starch
·         1 ½ Tb water
·         1 ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
·         2 bunches of green onions, sliced into 2 inch pieces
·         Salt and pepper
·         Skewers that have been soaked in water
Directions:
Combine the first 10 ingredients (through garlic) in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.   Make a slurry of the corn starch and water in a small bowl, whisking until there are no lumps.  Add the slurry to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened.  Using a slotted spoon, remove the garlic and ginger pieces.  Set aside some sauce for dipping.
Skewer the chicken and green onions, alternating until none remain.  Season the skewers with salt and pepper.  Grill skewers and baste with sauce.  Serve skewers with reserved dipping sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Lindsay,
    I'm so glad you enjoyed this chicken recipe ! I love your blog -I will enjoy exploring it! Thanks for the link back, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Yakitori is a culinary delight that transports the taste buds to the vibrant streets of Japan with its tantalizing blend of flavors and textures. This traditional Japanese skewered chicken dish features tender pieces of chicken marinated in a savory-sweet sauce made from soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar, then grilled to perfection. The result is juicy, succulent chicken with a caramelized exterior that boasts a delightful smoky char. Served alongside a sprinkle of sesame seeds and finely chopped scallions, Chicken Yakitori offers a symphony of umami-rich flavors and satisfying mouthfeel that delights the senses and leaves diners craving more. Whether enjoyed as an appetizer, main course, or part of a bento box, Chicken Yakitori is a culinary masterpiece that embodies the essence of Japanese cuisine.
    Divorce Lawyers Fairfax VA
    Fairfax Divorce Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I genuinely delighted in your post on the meaning of scrutinizing. I've everlastingly been a significant peruser, and I know that it's helped me with learning and fill in such endless ways. I especially esteemed your point about how examining can help us with getting a handle on substitute perspectives and social orders. I will have a go at examining even more habitually later on.

    Tipper truck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really got a kick out of your post on the significance of examining. I've everlastingly been a critical peruser, and I know that it's assisted me with learning and fill in such vast ways. I particularly regarded your point about how looking at can assist us with making heads or tails of substitute viewpoints and social orders. I will have a go at looking at much more routinely later on.

    pickup price

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...